While it is true that yellow jacket are a beneficial insect in the environment. They are doing nothing beneficial while swarming around your sweet drinks and barbeque food. Yes- you can spray pesticides and numerous repellants but that gets into the ground water and cant be around children and pets. It causes more problems than solving them. So here is a simple, and easy way to trap those pests without hurting the environment or your family.
Here is what you need:
- A large plastic bottle (2-liter preferiably)
- 1/4 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 banana peel
- Roughly about 4 cups of water
- Razor blade/ knife
How to make the trap:
- Pour a half-cup of water into the 2-liter bottle. Add the 1/4 cup of sugar and shake until dissolved.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and shake until combined.
- Add the banana peel (decaying fruit attracts yellow jackets)
- Cut a 3/4-inch hole in the top half of the bottle.
- Place the bottle near the hive, or in an area away from where you hang outside.
Thank you to Rodale’s Organic Life for the original information, you can read more here.