We are planning to bring geraniums into the greenhouse to winter over, and to use for cuttings for next year’s plant giveaway. If you have plants you would like to bring in, let Kathy know. Before you bring any plants into the greenhouse please try and be sure they are insect-free. Here are some steps you can follow to de-bug your plants:
- You can spray foliage with insecticidal soap if you see any signs of critters
- Then I would pop the plant out of the pot and inspect around the bottom and outside edge for any hitchhikers.
- Flick them off or scrape them off.
- Then I dunk the entire plant and pot in a spackle bucket full of water for about 15 minutes to convince all the other insects to make an escape.
- If you have a bug problem in the soil (ants or any other burrowing critters) you may have to take the plant down to bare roots get rid of the them. You can rinse the soil off the roots with a hose and repot in fresh soil.