The Doris Duke Estate was begun in 1903, with plans to build a new mansion were put into place by J.B. Duke. He also had plans to build other mansions in New York and North Carolina. After the foundation was laid in 1911, construction abruptly stopped. It is claimed to be from the staggering drop in tobacco sales (the business J.B. Duke was involved in.) Today, the remnants of this building project may be seen at the Old Foundation site, which overlooks the Great Meadow, a centerpiece of the habitat regeneration efforts at Duke Farms. The Orchid Range is one of the first buildings that was erected on the property. The Orchid Range is a large greenhouse that is home to many tropical plants and fruits that grow year round.